Monday, February 06, 2012

Blogging From Modesto

On Sunday, my wife and I were walking the Catican Guards when I got a phone call. It was a strange area code and the woman on the other end identified herself as a nurse at a hospital in Modesto. My son had been in a car crash and was in the hospital with various injuries.

I returned the Guards to their posts and drove the 7 hours from San Diego to Modesto. My son had a few cracked ribs and a neck injury, but no permanent damage. He had been at a leadership conference in the Bay Area and fell asleep at the wheel while driving back to college in SoCal. I'm up here in Modesto now after a day spent at the hospital with my boy. Here are some observations from a tired, addled brain.
  • There are good ways and bad ways to learn you are mortal. This was a good way. It has all of the self-recrimination and none of the lasting physical damage.

  • Modesto is restaurant-impoverished.

  • Nurses are beautiful people. All of the nurses taking care of my son have been competent, caring people.

  • Doctors are like leprechauns. No one ever sees them, you just hear about them. My son's doctor was supposed to show up today, but never made his rounds. They said he'd had several operations to perform, but I know better.

  • My son is now sporting a neck brace and is being treated as if he has a spinal injury, even though his actual injuries are moderate. They take three people to turn him and when they do, they treat him like he was paralyzed to keep the neck immobile.

  • The last time they did this today I had a flash of what it would be like were he actually paralyzed. I teared up, picturing what it must be like to be at your son's bedside waiting for him to move a finger or a toe.

  • I love my family. Caring for my son is no chore. I was able to drop everything and motor up to Modesto because my wife and other kids would take care of things at home. I am very blessed.
I'm sure there are lots of other things to note, but I'm running out of steam for the night. I'm so grateful to God that it wasn't worse and I've had all the support I needed.

13 comments:

Kelly the little black dog said...

KT,
I'm so sorry to hear this. Hanging out in hospital is no fun in the best of circumstances. I've done a lot of that lately. Be sure to take care of yourself and get enough sleep. I spent too many nights at the hospital and wasn't a lot of use when my wife came home. I'll be praying for you, your son, and your family.

Take care.

tim eisele said...

I'm sorry that happened to your son, and glad to hear that there will likely be no lasting damage other than to his sense of indestructability.

Those long drives are killers[1], and I wish more people were willing to pull over to a rest area and, well, rest before they start dozing off. The most important thing it will make them late for, is their funeral.

[1] It's a 10-hour drive from Houghton to downstate Michigan where most of our relatives live, so I'm all too familiar with long drives.

Mostly Nothing said...

Our prayers are with your son and family.

K T Cat said...

Thanks, all. We're making the best of it. I spent a lot of time in hospital when I was growing up with my parents hanging with me. This is a little karmic payback.

Jedi Knight Ivyan said...

I'm very glad he'll be okay and that you were able to drop everything to be with him.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear is going to be okay, KT.
God bless and hang in there.

K T Cat said...

Yeah, Ivyan, I'm blessed in so many ways!

Rex, thanks and great to see you here!

Anonymous said...

Tom and family--Donald called to tell me about Paul--our thoughts and prayers are with you all. If you need anything Donald will give you my brother's phone # in Turlock. Artie is retired and said that he could help if you need anything. We know hospitals are not a restful place to be. ,but the nurses sound on top of things--wish I could say more for the doc. I could not tell if Paul will need any type of rehab., but Scripps Encinitas is top for this type of injury. My two week stay there sure opened my eyes to what they were able to do for these young ones. Love the Starks

Mutnodjmet said...

KT: Your son and your family are in my prayers. I hope he has a speedy recovery. Keep us posted.

ligneus said...

You never know what's just around the corner, a lesson to count our blessings more often. I'm glad he's not seriously hurt.

K T Cat said...

Anon, thanks for your kind wishes and advice. The hospital here is first rate.

K T Cat said...

Mut and ligneus, thanks for the warm thoughts. It means a lot.

Foxfier said...

Lady above!

VERY glad that it went bad in the best way possible-- and very glad you're able to hop out and be at his side.

Be praying specifically for y'all.