Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What I Learned About Installing Door Frames

  1. Measure twice, cut once.

  2. Make sure your corners are square and your sides and top are level from all angles.

  3. Door hinges screw into the frame, they do not need to screw into the stud behind the frame.

  4. Don't be an idiot next time - just buy a pre-hung door. Installing a door frame just to keep an existing, plain, solid-core, exterior door is a fools' errand.
There. I think that sums it up quite nicely.

You should have listened to me and gone with the pre-hung door. You would have had more time to give me tuna and pull a string along the ground for me.

3 comments:

B-Daddy said...

Mrs. Daddy's father taught me that it was a two man job. He was a great mentor for work like this. He would agree with everything except four. For him, there was no greater satisfaction than doing a job well himself. Me, I'm kind of on the fence. I think if I enjoy something, its probably worth the effort or if I am learning something.

Aon said...

>Door hinges screw into the frame, they do not need to screw into the stud behind the frame.

Ouch. Ok, that gave me a laugh remembering some of the silly things I've done in like circumstances.

I agree with B-Daddy (for a change). If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well and if nothing else, you've learned something from it. Keep at it and you'll prevail (which is where I usually disagree with your viewpoints, lol)

K T Cat said...

I was fooled by the screws in the hinges. The previous door frame, the one I removed, had the hinge screws set at an angle so they could hit the stud behind the main part of the frame. They were enormous things. I realized later that they did this because they had done such a lousy job installing the frame in the first place and the thing was falling down.