Friday, July 02, 2010

A Little Bit on Mary and Joseph

I recently bought and downloaded the Bible* from Audible and have been listening to it off and on. I find that listening to it is quite different from reading it. I talk to the radio when I'm driving alone, so the thoughts triggered from hearing the book while driving are not the same as those triggered while reading it.

While listening, I wondered what it must have been like to have been Mary or Joseph. Every day must have been electric. Consider the simple act of making Jesus his lunch. On the outside, you're smearing the peanut butter on the Wonder Bread and looking for the jar of Smuckers in the fridge while on the inside your entire being is running in circles and shrieking, "I'M MAKING LUNCH FOR THE LORD GOD ALMIGHTY!"

If having your boss over for dinner is stressful and having the CEO over to a BBQ is traumatic, then what must it have been like making God's bed? The only thing I can think is that both were granted an enormous amount of grace and peace by God.

If not, they must have never slept.

She looks rested. I'm betting she was granted of grace and peace by the truckload.

* - The Catholic Bible, natch. None of that heretical stuff for me, no sir!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, but while most kids run off to the playground, it must have quite embarrassing to go to the temple and tell your kid to stop lecturing to the rabbis...

K T Cat said...

In games of stickball, do you think Jesus batted third or fourth?

tim eisele said...

You know, I bet after a couple of years of changing the diapers of the Lord God Almighty, the thrill has faded enough that making lunch for Him as a 5-year-old is no longer a big deal.

Anonymous said...

I remember some comedian opining on Jesus' brother. Imagine the sibling rivalry. 'Why can't you be more like your brother, the Lord and Savior of humanity?'

Jedi Knight Ivyan said...

I agree with Tim. I doubt they forgot he was special, but I'm sure that got shuffled into the background in the day to day.

K T Cat said...

Do you suppose they kept wondering if today was the day something cool would happen?

Jedi Knight Ivyan said...

Maybe Mary got tired of waiting for something special to happen and that's why she prompted Him to turn water into wine. I really wonder what Jesus had done before to make her think he could do something about it.

ligneus said...

that's why she prompted Him to turn water into wine.

I just like turning wine into water.