Sunday, July 18, 2010

It's not the Computer, It's Internet Exploder

A while back I blogged that my Catican PC was starting to die. It's where I do all my intense content generation. It's a reasonably powerful machine and has Adobe Creative Suite 4 installed. I love the thing.

When it started hanging up doing relatively simple tasks with the hard drive light on continuously and it required regular visits to the task manager to shut things down, I figured it was on its way to the Big Computer Lab in the Sky. Not so. I discovered that the problems were completely associated with Internet Exploder and if I just used Firefox, my problems all went away. Whether that's a product of IE being located on a failing sector of the hard drive or if I've contracted a parasite in my instance of IE, I'm not sure. In any case, the machine looks like it will live a while longer.

Crazy. I've never seen a machine reject an application it used to accept.

2 comments:

Justin said...

You're probably right, IE might be on a bad sector. But use Chrome, not Firefox.

Foxfier said...

Another Chromie, here.