Monday, July 27, 2009

Draw the Pentagram! Summon the ... Flower?!?

Pentagrams are supposedly a symbol you draw on the floor as a basis for summoning evil beings. At least that's what it said in the fantasy novels that I read in my ill-spent youth. As I looked at this flower photo from my patio, that was the first thing that sprang into my mind.

Maybe you could use it to summon bees or butterflies or some kind of pollen-bearing being. I'm not quite sure it would be much use in bringing forth any demonic spirit. Thank goodness for that. With all the stuff we still need to put away, such creatures would only get in the way.

2 comments:

Tim Eisele said...

You know, that's one of the things that makes origami flowers so difficult to do right. A lot of them have either three-fold or five-fold symmetry, and origami is better suited to either bilateral or four-fold symmetry. There are some kluges to make it come out right (like getting pseudo-3-fold-symmetry by starting out with four petals, and then modifying one to be a stem piece and leaving three), but in general it just ends up looking funny.

K T Cat said...

Tim, you are a fountain of knowledge!