Thursday, February 05, 2009

The Clueless Line of the Week

... comes from the State of California.

Who could have guessed that? Amidst the article linked above discussing how the state is delaying payments to counties which are now suing and delaying payments to the state comes this gem.
California's deficit is projected to reach $42 billion by June 2010, and the governor has called lawmakers back into special session to close the shortfall. He wants a combination of spending cuts, tax increases, borrowing and steps to stimulate the state's economy.
Emphasis mine. Stimulate the economy? Are you crazy? Anyone who relies on state services should be packing up and fleeing right now as should any business that suspects they might become a bill payer for what is sure to be a series of monstrous tax increases. Stimulate away, boys, the only people left will be the ones who can't leave. Stimulate them and see what happens.

For me, I've yet to see much of an effect. My kids go to Catholic schools, so we're blissfully untouched by the horrific mismangement of the state. If I had a kid in public school right now, I'd be burning up the phone lines to find any private school I could to move my child out from under that situation.

The government is stimulating the economy! Well, this part of the economy, at least.

1 comment:

Skyehaven said...

Actually, my husband is a driver for PODS (Portable On Demand Storage) and I can say with some certainty, at least in Florida, that part of the economy isn't very stimulated either.