Monday, February 23, 2009

Cat Underneath Overcast Skies

In my continuing attempts to get a balanced photo of our high-contrast Maximum Leader, I took some outdoor shots yesterday when the sky was overcast. I figured that would supply about the most diffuse light possible. Here's what I came up with. The white came out nicely and the black fur at the top caught the light properly, but the fur along the sides blurred together again. I now understand the need for diffuse light - any black that is in shadow will be blurred.

Of what a fyry sparkle, and quick sweetnes, Has this cat! Here Love himselfe sits smyling, Just such another wanton Ganimead Set Jove a fire with, and enforcd the god Snatch up the goodly cat, and set her by him A shining constellation: What a brow, Of what a spacious Majesty, she carries! Arch'd like the great eyd Iuno's, but far sweeter, Smoother then Pelops Shoulder!

Did I get carried away with the borrowing from Shakespeare there?

4 comments:

Kelly the little black dog said...

That said this is a very good portrait of her. The black fading out to the left actually works for the composition. I LOVE the eyes.

Did I tell you about Ken Rockwell's site? Its got some fantastic info - especially on digital cameras. And he's actually local to you.

Niall Mor said...

I can haz Shakespere? One of my professors in college always pointed out that this was the spelling on Shakespeare's birth records, so that was the spelling the professor always used when referring to The Bard.

Eureka! I have it. First there were LOLcats. Then there were Rolcats. Now there are . . . Shakescats!

Capchadef: clashil--an argument that leaves you feeling a little queasy.

Niall Mor said...

* Benvolio. Why, what is Tybalt?

* Mercutio. More than prince of cats, I can tell you. O, he is
the courageous captain of compliments. He fights as
you sing prick-song, keeps time, distance, and
proportion; rests me his minim rest, one, two, and 1180
the third in your bosom: the very butcher of a silk
button, a duellist, a duellist; a gentleman of the
very first house, of the first and second cause:
ah, the immortal passado! the punto reverso! the
hai!

--Romeo & Juliet, Act II, Scene iv

capchadef: bonic--of or relating to bones.

K T Cat said...

Niall, that was truly inspired!