Saturday, August 02, 2008

SiteMeter is Totally Hosed

SiteMeter is having a severe problem with IE 7 - as in crashing it. Every site with SiteMeter on it is crashing IE 7 as is the SiteMeter page for your hit count. I found out about this last night, but before I did I started wondering if I'd been attacked by a virus. I am very unhappy about this. There's no excuse for this at all and particularly none for it to have continued more than a few hours.

I've removed SiteMeter from my page temporarily. I don't want to ditch the thing since I've got a long, long history with them and I want access to all that comparative data. I hope they get it fixed soon.

Update: Here's a description of the problem and a fix.

Update 2: I just fixed the problem with these steps as suggested in the post above:
Go to the dashboard, choose "Layout", "Edit HTML", scroll to the bottom, and include the ordinary Sitemeter Javascript (with the counter.js source from the Sitemeter website) right before </body> at the end of the HTML template. Preview and save the template. The counter will appear at the very bottom of your blog.
Update 3: The problem has been fixed.

6 comments:

Mostly Nothing said...

It's annoying that the dominant player in the web browser industry can't write a browser that is compatible with the web
standard.

IE6 is the standard, only supported browser at work. And there has been beta testing of IE7 for probably a year. I have it on one of my machines. Generally, it's ok. It's nearly as good as Firefox 1.0. But there are a ton of internally developed web sites (with Microsoft tools) that don't work.

K T Cat said...

I use IE 7 all the time. This is the first big problem I've come up against.

Having said that, this is unacceptable on both parties. I blame SiteMeter more than IE. How can you release a new version of your scripts and not test it with IE 7? As far as I can tell, they haven't even seen the error and moved to fix it. They must have all gone out and gotten drunk on Friday night.

DammitWomann said...

Side note - it was so "strange" that only the conservative sites were were "aborted." Coincidence? Makes one think.

Jeff Miller said...

Funny how IE was the only browser effected while everything other browser wasn't.

IE is a memory hot, though 7 is much improved they are nowhere near being compliant to internet standards. They keep going their own way.

Do yourself a favor and dump ID. FF3 is really good now, but it is the add-ons that make it indespensible.

Jeff Miller said...

If anybody is using IE6 at least upgrade do IE7. IE6 is dangerous security wise.

B-Daddy said...

Why not just use Mozilla Firefox or Safari instead, and be done with all these Microsmurf issues? The head of Network Security at my work, a very brilliant guy, recommends this option.