Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Can You Model Neon Tetra Behavior?

I was at the pet store the other day, getting some gear for our Maximum Leader (more on that later) and I decided to walk through their tropical fish area. I've always loved neon tetras and used to have an aquarium with quite a few of them. This is what they look like.


Neons have pretty small brains and not very many behaviors. As I clicked around YouTube I began to wonder if you could come up with a behavioral model for neon tetras. What do they do when they're just hanging out and why do they do it? Is there a leader to their school or do they just meander about following each other? Do they avoid dark spaces, light spaces, enclosed spaces or what?

I think I need a big aquarium and lots of neons to experiment. :-)

1 comment:

DammitWomann said...

I agree..you do need an aquarium.. or as I call it "Kitty TV"!