Wednesday, July 09, 2008

When eBay is Better Than Amazon

I'm trying to find an English translation of Prudentius' Psychomachia. It's the epic poem, written originally in Latin, that first describes the seven virtues and seven deadly sins. I can't find a translation online and I ordered a book on Amazon that turned out to have commentary in English, but kept the poem in Latin. Useless.

Amazon did not let me ask questions about the book, but eBay does. I'm not buying another one of these until the seller comes back and tells me the book has an English translation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There's a translation in the LOEB series, link to the Amazon website is here:
http://www.amazon.com/Prudentius-1/dp/0674994264/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215996108&sr=8-6

It's not the most inspired of translations, but it's fairly accurate, and it's the best I know of.