Tuesday, June 03, 2008

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

I started this book with my daughter tonight as I read a bit of it to her while she lay in bed. It has one of the greatest opening lines in all of literature, IMHO.

"There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."

Glorious, simply glorious. It might be my favorite of all the Narnia books. When I was 12 or 13, some friends of mine bought me that book and The Horse and His Boy for my birthday. They couldn't find the others at the bookstore, so they bought me just those. I must have read them both 20 times.

Dawn Treader ought to be pretty easy to make into a movie and remain true to the story. The plot is very linear and it moves right along. I could see them cutting out an adventure or two the way Tom Bombadil was cut out of the Lord of the Rings movies. I can't wait to see what they do with it.

No comments: