Friday, May 09, 2008

A Little More About the Engagement

So I dropped the hint that I got engaged on Wednesday. Here's a little bit more about it. I've been dating my fiancee, Terrie, now for about 7 months. I've never had a relationship like this one, where it is all effortless and natural. The two of us have very similar life stories. Our kids know and like each other and they like both of us. Even our Maximum Leader is in love with her. You should see the reception Terrie gets when she comes through our door for a visit. There are head bumps and leg rubs and purring and flopping. K T just radiates love when Terrie's around.

When I was on my business trip to Hawaii last week, there came a point where I realized that I never again want to go away and not come home to Terrie. I wished I had a reliable jeweler in Hawaii so I could come home with a ring and propose on Friday. That was not available, so I had to wait and shop for the ring on Tuesday. As an aside, if you're in the market for a diamond, check out the prices on Blue Nile. I didn't feel comfortable buying a diamond on line, but they gave me an excellent benchmark for pricing the ring. Our local jeweler, Renzulli's, was actually below Blue Nile's prices and did a great job on the ring.

On Wednesday night I made a nice dinner. I grilled lamb chops, made new red potatoes and steamed some green beans. I had crackers and exotic cheeses for appetizer. I asked Terrie to bring over a bottle of our favorite wine. She suspected nothing, poor thing. I had the Lovin' Spoonful playing on my little Rio Karma through my living room version of Dr. Frankenstein's Stereo.

I put out the cheese and crackers, hid the ring box under a cushion on the sofa and when she came in, we poured some wine and sat down on the sofa to chat. I told her what I felt in Hawaii, got down on one knee and proposed with the ring. She never saw the ring. She gasped and asked me a couple of times if I was serious. Then she said yes.

Note to guys: The girl may not see the ring when you propose, but she will see the ring for the rest of her life. Do not think you can scrimp on the ring just because in that one, emotional moment she might not see it! :-)

So what song was playing when I popped the question? Darling Be Home Soon, specifically these lyrics:
But darling be home soon
I couldn't bear to wait an extra minute if you dawdled
My darling be home soon
It's not just these few hours but I've been waiting since I toddled
For the great relief of having you to talk to

It could not have been more perfect.

7 comments:

Wollf Howlsatmoon said...

Good On You!!!

*sighs*
Wollf

Nancy Arter said...

WOW! You romantic devil, you! Congratulations! Great song, too. Man, you did it right! : ) Terrie's a lucky girl.

Nancy Arter said...

One more thing . . . that Joe Cocker video is absolutely PRICELESS!

Niall Mor said...

Way cool! Congratulations!

Ohioan@Heart said...

"She never saw the ring." - Perfect. That's one of those subtle tests. If she's looking at the ring instead of you, that's a bad sign. Sounds like you got a good one. Probably better than you deserve. I know that's true in my case.

B-Daddy said...

God's blessing on your union. I am very happy for you.

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! Congrats to you both on finding someone so in sync.