Thursday, January 24, 2008

I Don't Think I Want to be a Runner

I was driving home last night, listening to the radio, when a commercial for UCSD Medical Center came on. It went something like this.
Man's voice: "I used to run 70 miles a week. After a while, I developed tremendous pain in my hips. The pain was unbearable. I was not even able to sleep at night! I went to UCSD Medical Center and instead of giving me a full hip replacement, they were able resurface my hips. After a short recovery, the pain is gone and now I'm able to take walks again."
They resurfaced his hip bones?!? What did they use, something like this?


For me, the ad wasn't a recommendation for UCSD, it was a dire warning never to take up running.

4 comments:

Justin said...

Hmmmmmmm. I figured they just put a two-inch coat of asphalt on it like they do with the freeways.

Anonymous said...

Nah, asphalt is poisonous, they would obviously use Polyfilla.

As for the running, it's OK if your running style is fluid [I can't think of a better word but look at the mid distance runners, how effortless it looks] and not 'lumpy' as you see with the general run [ha ha] of joggers. No wonder they run into problems. And anyway, 70 miles a week? Whatever happened to common sense.

Dean said...

Kind of like why I don't lift weights. They're just so dam heavy. You don't leave something as important as your health to chance.

Anonymous said...

Post your queries related to Knee Replacement at,

http://cjrindia.com/cjr/contactcjr.htm

Toll Free
UK: 0-808-234-6343
US / Canada: 1-800-730-6373

http://cjrindia.com/cjr/speciality/knee_replacement_surgery.htm