Tuesday, May 01, 2007

They Already Knew the World was Round

I just started reading An Introduction to St. Thomas Aquinas. He wrote around the year 1250 and in one of the first passages he makes an off-hand remark about how the scientists of his time knew that the Earth was round. He's using it to make a theological point, but it clearly shows that people knew the Earth was round long before Columbus' voyages.

How did the myth that the people of Columbus' time thought the Earth was flat ever get started?

1 comment:

Kat said...

OOooo, another book to add to my "must get for biblical library" list... You may also enjoy Lee Strobel's The Case for... series. I just picked up The Case for a Creator, and it's wonderful! Sort of a similar subject...

Of course, I'm baffled that I missed it - it's copyrighted in 2004! Yikes!

-- Kat