Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Bad Press is Better Than no Press

...and any link is a good link. Friend Ligneus misunderstood my hash of a post and took me out to the woodshed. That in itself could be entertaining. I assure you, Ligneus, spanking a cat is no small task.

:-)

He tries nonetheless.
There isn't a phrase in this (post) that I don't disagree with, it is so stupefyingly out of touch with reality that it's frightening to think so many go along with this line of thinking.
When I wrote the original post, I kept editing the prose for aesthetics, not realizing that I was butchering the meaning and confusing several of my readers. Thanks to him and the others for yelling at me for being a dunderhead.

By the way, our Maximum Leader is a she. I, the writer for her Serene Furriness, am a he.

I'll be off the net for a while today. Here's a cartoon that might mollify the masses. And there's nothing better than mollified masses.


H/T: CDR Salamander (and reader Roger for pointing it out to me)

Update: in the comments of the original post, Ligneus seems pessimistic about convincing the Left. I would suggest that this is unworthy of his intellect. Retreating from the debate, which he does not advocate directly, is the same as retreating from the war to me. If you are going to engage in a debate, then it is crucial to understand what motivates your opponent and forms his moral frame of reference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think my last comment on your previous post properly belongs here.

Ha ha, 'when the only tool you have is a hammer..'
I'm a carpenter!
That being so, I sometimes wonder what I'm doing in the company of so many erudite people, but there you go, maybe sometimes my not quite so metaphorical hammer drives the point home.
Re the left/right divide, I take my clues for the difficulty in the two sides not 'hearing' each other from Thomas Sowell's 'A Conflict of Visions'. He goes back to Edmund Burke and co on one side who believed that people should be free within a framework of law and Rousseau and co on the other who thought that an elite knew best how people should live and had the arrogance to think that they could micro manage such a complex thing as 'society'.
On that subject, another favourite book of mine is Emergence by Steven Johnson which shows how everything from termites' nests, cities, the internet, to give a few examples, 'emerge' and are self organising, the main mechanism being feedback.

I saw the Evan Sayet video, great! I must look it up again, my memory being somewhat 'holey' these days.