Friday, June 23, 2006

An Odd Week at The Scratching Post

The Scratching Post is a blog built around business and marketing observations and our weekly World of Good (WOG) posts. This week we tried a surreal combination of the two that didn't even garner a peep. Normally our WOG posts get multiple links and hundreds of hits. This one didn't even get acknowledgement off of the links emailed to the WOG Squad. It was so ignored, in fact, that it made me wonder if the email had gone out at all. I never received any error messages, so I think it's safe to assume that everyone got it and just bailed as soon as they saw me describe it in the email as weird.

And weird it is. I got a bizarre inspiration and decided to write a post juxtaposing Disneyworld with Hamas. The contrast, to me at least, is obvious and striking. The ultimate in clean-cut fun versus a group that is cannibalistic in everything save diet. I might as well have written about weather patterns on Mars. In fact, that might have garnered more attention from the NASAphiles out there. This one simply vanished as if it had entered the Bermuda Triangle.

I can't say I'm disappointed since I knew it was a risky thing to do. I'm just surprised at the lack of any response at all. Perhaps the thing is so weird that no one knows what to make of it at all. Sort of like when you go into a friend's house and he has a sculpture of a nude woman frying bacon in the middle of his living room. It's so bizarre that you can't think of anything to say that isn't insulting and so you ignore it.

I've discovered that asking for comments is usually a fruitless thing to do, but I think I'll do it one more time. If you'd like to look at that WOG post, you can find it here. Is it so weird that you can't think of anything to say?

1 comment:

Kelly the little black dog said...

Some of us are away on vacation and try to avoid surfing the web while camping....